Craftsy- Best place on the net for discount craft supplies!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Refocusing ideas~ Bringing students back on task using senses.

 As a traveling teacher I get to see my kiddos for about a half hour a day once or twice a week.  I need to make this time worthwhile.  Unfortunately, a lot of the time when I get some of my students it is when they are due for a sensory break and classroom teacher always asks if I can do a quick break with them.  Not a problem- I've got this.

One thing I like to have with me are objects that are made from the earth- wooden bowls, ceramic/glass bowls, even a stone mortar and pestle.  Students are introduced to so much plastic in their classroom from their chairs to their reading bins.  Its nice for them to touch things that are different.  Something that has a different feel from things in their classroom.   Sometimes I will bring my daily phonemic awareness game in a wooden box- So mysterious.  It even creaks when it opens.
GBW014 WOOD BOXES
Its neat to see students run their hands over the smooth sides- stopping at the knotholes and asking what they are.  

Ceramic bowls for activities are nice but you do have to use a lot of care with them.  Be sure to have both eyes on your student at all time.  You know the student who can handle using ceramic materials.  Some of the most roughest students I have are gentle giants when working with a piece of "china" (hey- I bought it at good will and it says made in china.  Close enough!)  These bowls are perfect for mixing playdoh, Kinetic sand and other sticky items.  

What is a mortar and pestle? I bet you used one in science class in the day! I use this with fresh lavender or lemongrass.   Students have the opportunity to crush and then they get that benefit of scent- aroma therapy works well with my students.   

On the same line of aroma therapy I also like to use lavender scented shaving cream with my students.   I put a small amount on the table and they slowly write their names and erase.   Eventually, I get them to start writing sight words as well as beginning and ending sounds (depending on the time of year) 

Satin Care Lavender Kiss Shave Gel
Look in your local papers for coupons and watch for sales! 

Another item I use for touch is playdoh- Yes we have been using that for years but I  purchase the mini tubs after Halloween (most times I get it 1/2 off the next day at the drug store) and due to health reasons all year long (flu and stomach bug has been nasty here) I either send the little tub home for keeps or I throw it out.

my kids are crazy for hasbro s play doh but my problem with it has ...


My new favorite item is Kinetic sand. You can make this item at home and bring it in in small tubs or even Ziploc bags.  This works out well with students who need to have their hands busy while working on another task.  I usually allow them to play with the sand while reading or during a sight word drill.    I store the kinetic sand in the photo in a plastic tub as this was purchased at Michael's and I didn't want it to dry out and harden.  


Kinetic sand recipe:


You can also use cloud dough for the same purpose but I have found that cloud dough leaves a chalky feeling on your hands and a lot of my students freak out with that feeling.  

Hopefully this has given you some ideas of some ideas you can use to relax students in your small groups or classrooms.  


No comments:

Post a Comment