Craftsy- Best place on the net for discount craft supplies!

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Craft room insanity!

You need what? ......When? .......oh boy!

That's usually how my crafting conversations go.  It's not because I can't figure out what to make or how to create it but my problem is just to the right of the front door.  The room that everyone pretty much ignores unless we have to make something.  The craft room.





Now my intentions are good.  I usually clean and organize this room right before Christmas on the one blessed snow day we usually get.  I tackle that room with 2 garbage bags and a boatload of Christmas songs.   Only this year, it's December 18th and we didn't have any snow days yet. (hence the Oh boy!)

My daughter's classroom teacher emailed me a few weeks ago asking if I could come up with a craft for their Christmas party.  If course, being the Krafty Teacherz I said yes and began my Pinterest search. I came across several awesome ideas (see Amazing-holiday-just-saying entry) and I decided to do the snowman finger prints.  I thought they were cool and something just a little unique (apparently the teacher's I work with did so too since I ended up seeing more of these snowmen than I ever thought possible)

Maybe it's me- As a mom I would LOVE to have ornaments  made by my child for every year they are in school.  As a teacher I barely had time for the curriculum never mind the "fun" stuff.  I didn't do a whole lot of crafts when I had a classroom and for that I give my deepest and sincerest apologies to not only my students but to their parents who were hoping for a little something sweet made from their little cherub and I dropped the ball.  I could think of a lot of excuses and many of them would apply but the truth of the matter is that I chose education over crafts.  I chose to work my little kiddos right up until the last bell of vacation.  don't get me wrong I did let them have holiday parties and birthday parties but for the most part I had to get the curriculum in.  I wish I did it differently.  I wish I'd let them have practice holding a scissors.  Even fourth graders have trouble with the grasp and accuracy of that hard-to-master-yet-looks-so-easy-tool.  I wish I gave them time to develop their creativity and was able to see their vision of the the world.  I know I must have done some classroom art projects with them but I just can't seem to remember.  I hope they do and I hope they liked whatever project it was.  

It took me a long time to realize how important this was.  My son was growing up during my first few years of teaching and somehow I didn't seem to notice the lack of trinkets.   His daycare sent home plenty of adorable ornaments and poems.  I don't know I missed not getting an ornament while he was in elementary school.  I just know that one day while my daughter was in Kindergarten I received her beautiful handcrafted ornament and I was shocked that it took me so long to realize what I had been missing.  Luckily we had moved to a new town after my daughter was born and the K and 1 teacher's both believed in making class ornaments.   When I received the email from the 2nd grade teacher I knew that I HAD to do an ornament.  She did not specify, but for me it was a definite.  We were doing an ornament...period.

Tomorrow is the big day.   I took a 1/2 day off from work because this is important.  Not that teaching my inner city kids is not, but, sometimes you need to put your family first and do what needs to be done.  I can't wait to see her excitement when I walk in the door.  Little doodlebug is going to be so excited that her Mama is in school and helping with this craft.  I have an awesome co-room mom who stepped in to help me and is totally on board with what we are creating.  I think she may even be more excited than I am!

I'll post the final result tomorrow but as for now please remember to take the time and do something with your students,  Something creative and fun.  They are learning so many skills and it gives you the opportunity to learn so much about their world.

As for my craft room....yeah it's still a mess.  Guess I'll have to do the same thing I did for Halloween- sew up some curtains and cover the entryway!    

No comments:

Post a Comment