Craftsy- Best place on the net for discount craft supplies!

Sunday, December 14, 2014

I have a second grader in Connecticut

Good evening.

On this night of 12-14-2014 I am cuddling with my daughter.  We cuddle together most nights but tonight is special.  You see, today was the second year anniversary of the second worst school shooting in America.  The only school shooting ever in Connecticut.  As she snuggles in closer and her kitty creeps onto the bed I am thinking of those children.  Those forever babies that will never be home to cuddle with their moms and kitty's again.

My daughter is in second grade.  Yes- the year of the Sandy Hook school shooting she was in Kindergarten.  Just like those babies.  Although we live 45 minutes away from Sandy Hook there are constant reminders.  The security guard posted in my school foyer, the classroom keys I am given because the doors are always locked and I need to get in somehow, the magnetic strips that cover the locking mechanism on the door.  All of these are small results of that fateful day.  

Someone very close to me was a first responder to Sandy Hook Elementary that day.  He was there before the children were removed from the school and stayed until the investigation was over.  Two years later and he still has a rough time processing what happened.

 It infuriates me whenever a new conspiracy theory is released regarding that day.  Stemming form initial reports made from ill informed news media outlets theorists think they KNOW what happened.  They know nothing.  They don't know what happened because as they publish their work of fiction from the "apartment" over their mamma's garage my friend was there physically on the grounds and in the melee of frantic parents praying for a glimpse of their child.  My friend has seen things that he can NEVER unsee.  Nightmares that are so real and unavoidable.  

No Sandy Hook was not a hoax.  We lost so many beautiful lives that day but thanks to the quick thinking of the principal and office staff so MANY more were saved.  God bless them all.  

Hug your kids a little closer tonight and even though they are giving you a rough time going to bed, (like mine is right now) count your blessings.  At least they are here and able to hug/kiss/snuggle.


No comments:

Post a Comment