Craftsy- Best place on the net for discount craft supplies!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Top 5 things teacher's want for Christmas.


Dear Santa, Couldn't you have gone with the usual lump of coal? You had to give teachers a full moon the week before Christmas Break? Seriously Santa????


Teacher gifts are NEVER expected....EVER!

With that being said I am sure you do the same thing I do at this time of year and think- OMG what am I going to get her/him?!?!  Here are a few ideas that may be helpful!

Here is a list based on items I have received in my 10+ years as a teacher.  I always LOVED everything that came from my students.  Although my favorite were handmade items- but that's just me.

What NOT to get teachers....
1. candles- I have enough to light every room in my house continually from Christmas to New Years. They are pretty and smell divine but if I have to store it then I may not keep it.

2. Christmas knick nacks- Yes they are cute and sweet and that snowman is just darling but I have a whole tree of ornaments my children have made and probably enough to furnish another tree.

3. Homemade food- as yummy as the looked when you sent them to school is usually not how they looked after they made it out of the backpack.  Sometimes I was lucky and was able to salvage some items but most likely not.  Book bags get squished- it happens.  I had a student bring me a sheet cake in her backpack once......The back pack was on her back....upright.  Yeah, probably not a good idea unless brought in by a parent.  

4. Clothing- In particular pins! I have a ton in every imaginable shape and size.  Cute yes- storage- no.


What to get teachers...

1. New supplies:
Yes we are nerds.  That's why we are teachers.  We love new pencils, sticky notes, markers and YES! Mr. Sketchy markers! Buy in October when items are on clearance and fill a gift bag for your teachers.  They will LOVE you forever!

2. Gift Certificates:
Contrary to popular belief we do not live in the school.  We LOVE to go out to dinner or maybe for a surprise pedicure.  A GC for Barnes and Nobles is perfect! Just the right size.  Any coffee house GC is awesome too! One year my students gave me a GC for a local ice cream parlor- YUMMY! If the teacher has kids give them a GC for a place they can take their kids.  Free family time is awesome!

3. Handmade items:
 I LOVE handmade items from students or from their parents. Handmade scarf, lap quilt, mittens, hat.  I have even received a handmade doll from a parent who had a doll making business.  

4. ANYTHING with our name on it!:
I had a student make me a desk plate one year.  Thought it was the coolest thing ever.  The parent didn't think it took a lot of time but I LOVED it.

5. CHOCOLATE
That never gets old.  Yes.....chocolate.  We all need chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment